The City of Falls Church Police Department reminds the community that robberies and thefts can increase around the holidays.
Protect yourself and your property by following these tips:
• When shopping, do not leave valuables in your vehicle. If you make purchases and have further shopping to do, place your purchases in the trunk, not in plain view.
• Keep receipts with you.
• Consider inviting a friend to go with you.
• Carry your valuables wisely.
• Do not keep cash in your wallet (or only keep a small amount of cash in your wallet). Instead, keep your cash in an inside pocket and only carry those credit cards you intend to use.
• When carrying a purse, hold it close to you, with the opening or flap to the inside, nearest your body.
• Never leave a purse in a shopping basket, always keep it with you.
• If you carry a backpack, carry your wallet on your person.
• If in a crowd, consider carrying the backpack on your front, pickpockets can easily enter a backpack in a crowded area unobserved and unnoticed by the owner.
• Protect your credit card numbers and other personal information. Only provide credit card numbers over the phone if you initiated the call and know to whom you are providing this information.
• After the holidays, don’t put the boxes of high-dollar gift items out by the trash (i.e., TV, DVD, Computers, etc.), advertising the new items in your home. Break down the boxes and place in your recycling bin, or turn inside out for recycling collection at the curb.
• Also, the Recycling Center (217 Gordon Rd.) accepts cardboard seven days a week – it’s free, and thieves won’t know your address.
• If you are traveling for the holidays, have a friend or neighbor collect your mail and newspapers or have your service suspended while you are away.
• Be aware of your surroundings. Report anything or anyone suspicious that you observe.
The City of Falls Church Police non-emergency number is 703-241-5050. Call 911 in emergencies.