News

Firefighters Respond to Read Building Kitchen Fire

(Photo: Amy Betor, City of Falls Church Office of Communications)
(Photo: Amy Betor, City of Falls Church Office of Communications)

Emergency responders were called to W. Broad Street’s Read Building Saturday morning for a kitchen fire in one of the building’s units.

At about 10:45 a.m., City of Falls Church Police were alerted to a fire at the Read Building, located at 402 W. Broad St. Fire units from Arlington and Fairfax counties responded to find a fire in the kitchen of a third-floor unit. The fire was contained to the kitchen by the sprinkler system and extinguished by the firefighters. There was significant water damage to the unit involved, adjacent units, and the businesses below.

The City of Falls Church fire marshal ruled the fire accidental, caused by combustibles left unattended on a stove top. There were no injuries. The Falls Church Volunteer Fire Department assisted with initial water removal. Early damage estimates will be in excess of $100,000.

3 Comments

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*