More than 10,000 people came out for the City of Falls Church’s 2016 Memorial Day Festival and Parade on Monday, May 30. Mark Q. Rhoads, a former Illinois State Senator (R-Cook County) who served six years in the 86th U.S. Army Reserve Command in Chicago, served as the keynote speaker for the Veteran’s Ceremony at the festival.
“The City sends a special thank you to members of the Falls Church Volunteer Fire Department who were on hand to provide first aid to anyone in need,” said Chris Madison, event manager, in a press release. “We also could not have had such a memorable event without Grand Marshal Kathleen Halayko, ceremony and parade participants, parade judges, vendors, sponsors and everyone who attended.”
The parade winners were:
- Best Emergency Vehicle: Falls Church Volunteer Fire Department
- Best Float: NOVA Parks and Tinner Hill Heritage Foundation
- Best High School Marching Band: George C. Marshall Marching Band
- Best Professional Marching Band: Washington Sottish Pipe Band
- Best Vehicles: KENA 500
- Best Walking Group: South Lakes High School Junior Reserve Officer’s Training Corps
- Best Youth Group: Tinkus Tiataco
- Best Military Group: Greater Falls Church Veteran’s Council
Falls Church Community Television recorded the parade and will make it available via YouTube soon. It will also be broadcast on Falls Church City Television. The schedule of airings will be determined at a later date. Check out our photo gallery from the Memorial Day Festival and Parade below.