Crime, News

Six Injured in Police Chase on I-66 in Arlington

Six people were sent to the hospital on Saturday afternoon after a police chase caused a multiple-car collision on I-66 eastbound between the Glebe Road and Sycamore Street exits in Arlington County.

Shortly after 3 p.m., a Virginia State Police trooper initiated a traffic stop on a Dodge Charger for allegedly driving in the shoulder along the eastbound lanes of I-66, according to a press release from the Virginia State Police. The Dodge Charger stopped for another trooper near Exit 57 for Route 50 in Fairfax County.

Ericka S. Oliver, 25, was the driver of the Dodge Charger during the traffic stop and was taken into custody for an outstanding warrant, according to the release. While Oliver was being taken into custody, the passenger of the Dodge Charger, Anthony G. McCrae, 33 of Washington, D.C., got into the driver seat and fled from the scene. Another trooper at the scene pursued the Dodge Charger, the release said.

The Dodge Charger headed east on I-66, got off at Chain Bridge Road in McLean, where he turned around and got back on to I-66 headed east, according to the release. As McCrae caught up with traffic on I-66 near Sycamore Street, he lost control of the Dodge Charger and struck a Ford Expedition, causing it to spin out. The Dodge Charger then rear-ended a Subaru Outback, the release said.

According to the release, the two adults were in the Ford Expedition, who suffered minor injuries that were treated at the scene. There were three males in the Subaru Outback, two of which suffered minor injuries that were treated at the scene – the third suffered serious injuries and was transported to Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington for treatment, the release said.

McCrae suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries and was transported to Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, where he is being held without bond on outstanding warrants from Arlington and Prince William counties, according to the release. Additional charges are pending further investigation by Virginia State Police into Saturday’s pursuit and crash.

By 6 p.m. all eastbound lanes on I-66 were cleared and open for traffic to pass through.