Mason Soccer Remains Unbeaten

George Mason High School’s boys soccer season is in full swing as the team took down longtime rival Central High School, 7-0, as well as higher-classified Lee High School, 2-0, in the last week.

The Mustangs (5-0-1) have started this year determined after an abridged finish last season that saw them exit in the opening round of the 2A Region tournament. It’s clear their focus is heightened, as they’ve outscored opponents (including some of the best in Alabama and Tennessee, and intrastate rival Maggie Walker Governor’s School) by a margin of 20-5 in six games this season. A chippy Central team was on the receiving end of Mason’s redemption tour when they played on April 6.

“We went into Woodstock with a huge chip on our shoulders and with a mission that we followed through with,” Mason head coach Frank Spinello said.

Mason tallied their first goal against the Falcons when freshman midfielder Declan Quill knocked in a second chance attempt that sophomore midfielder Zorhan Boston missed on the first go around. Though maintaining frequent possession, the Mustangs wouldn’t score again until the 35th minute when sophomore midfielder Henry Brorsen sent a cross to senior forward Peter Scardino, who kicked the ball mid-air to improve Mason’s halftime score to 2-0.

Following the intermission, the Mustangs returned with a noticeable edge. Senior forward Carlos Mercado racked up two goals in a four minute span right out of halftime to put the game out of reach for Central.

Even with the victory virtually in hand, Mason didn’t let up. Wells performed a little trickeration to really deplete the Falcons morale by eluding three defenders facing him straight-up to drive home how much the Mustangs wanted that win.

“You cannot coach speed,” Spinello continued. “[Wells] was totally determined to score on that play, he saw the opening when no one else did and made them pay.”

Senior defender Tim Andrianarison and sophomore defender Hunter Broxson rounded out the scoring in the final six minutes to secure Mason’s 20th victory in as many matches over Central.

The game against Lee on April 4 was lighter on scoring due to windy conditions, but picked up as the wind died down later in the match.

Junior defender Miles Lankford launched a free kick into the Lancers’ penalty box that wound up on Andrianarison’s foot. Feeling pressure from both sides, Andrianarison backheeled the ball toward the goal in impromptu fashion and caught Lee’s goalie off his mark for game’s inaugural score.

In the opening minute of the second half, Mason struck again when sophomore midfielder Cole Hellert, Brorsen and Boston had a three-man passing game going up the length of the field.

Eventually, the short passing series ended with Brorsen receiving the final touch before sending a sharp, low cross that Wells finished at point blank range for the game’s decisive margin.

The Mustangs will play their next game on the road against Loudoun County High School tonight before facing Rappahannock County High School at home on Friday.