Around F.C.

Bathroom Heater Causes $80,000 in Damage to F.C. Home

A ceiling heater located in the master bathroom of a Falls Church home caused a fire that resulted in $80,000 in damage, according to a press release from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department.

The fire department said that units arrived to the single-family house, located at 6205 Cheryl Dr., Falls Church, around 8:15 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 21 and encountered smoke coming from the attic of the home upon arrival. Fire crews extinguished the fire in the attic and confirmed that everyone was out of the home.

The dwelling was occupied by two adults and two children when the fire began, but, when the owner discovered the fire, all four occupants self-evacuated. There were three working smoke detectors within the dwelling, but they did not activate because the fire was located in the attic space.

Red Cross support was offered but declined. One firefighter was transported from the scene for evaluation. For more information, visit ffxfirerescue.wordpress.com.