News

Improperly Disposed Ashes Cause Fire in Falls Church Home

A fire in a single-family home in the Falls Church area of Fairfax County on Sunday, Oct. 11 caused approximately $80,000 worth of damage, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reported this morning.

Firefighters responded to reports of a house fire on October 11 at 11:40 p.m. at 7118 Terry Lane. When they arrived they encountered smoke and fire coming from the side and attic of the ranch-style home and conducted an aggressive fire attack, quickly extinguishing the fire. No one was home when the fire started.

The home did not have working smoke alarms. The occupant of the home has been displaced and Red Cross support was offered, but the occupant declined. There were no injuries.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. They said that improperly disposed ashes in a metal can from an outside warming fire near the exterior of the home caused the fire.