We asked three Falls Church restaurants participating in the Taste of Falls Church this weekend to share with us some of their signature creations.
La Caraqueña Restaurant’s Tequeños
300 West Broad Street, Falls Church – 703-304-6646
(Venezuelan Cheese Pastries)
- 2 pounds all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup water (or more as needed)
- 2 pounds white semi-soft cheese
1. Pre-mix the water, salt and sugar.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, butter, egg yolks and the pre-mix water, salt and sugar together.
3. Knead until very smooth, about 10 minutes. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
4. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough until it is very thin.
5. Cut into strips 6 inches long and 2 inches wide.
6. Cut cheese into 2 ½ inch sticks.
7. Take one stick of cheese, wrap it diagonally like a spiral, overlapping the dough, and pinch together the ends. Repeat with the remaining dough and cheese.
9. In a skillet, heat 1-2 inches of oil to 350ºF.
10. Drop in a few tequeños at a time and fry until golden brown on all sides, 1-2 minutes.
11. Remove using a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Not Your Average Joe’s Grilled Black Angus Sirloin Meatloaf
444 West Broad Street, Falls Church – Coming Soon
(Makes 12 slices.)
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle peppers
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ounce soy sauce
- 3 pounds hamburger
- 4 ounces plain bread crumbs
- 5 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 ounces corn
- 3 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 teaspoon chopped scallions
1. Pre heat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Using a mixer, mix together chipotle peppers, coriander, beef broth, soy sauce, eggs, salt and pepper.
3. Mix well and add remaining ingredients. Make sure everything is mixed evenly but not over mixed.
4. Place mixture into meatloaf pan.
5. Pack down tightly and make a small indent in center.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven.
7. Bake for approximately 2 hours.
Natalia’s Elegant Creations’ Chocolate Orange Pots de Crème
230 West Broad Street, Falls Church – 703-241-8040
(Serve chilled. Can be garnished with chocolate shavings or candied orange peel.)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 cups heavy cream
11 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons pure orange extract
1. Place butter, sugar and cream in medium saucepan (preferably stainless steel).
2. Stir often until mixture comes to a boil over medium heat.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in chocolate.
5. Tilt saucepan so that all of the chocolate is covered with the cream mixture.
6. Let stand for 2 minutes.
7. Stir mixture until completely smooth. Stir in vanilla and orange extracts.
8. Place 8 (4-ounce) ramekins on a small baking sheet.
9. Carefully, with a small ladle, spoon the chocolate cream mixture into the ramekins.
10. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.