Mason Girls Lax Beats O’Connell High 12-9

by Jeffrey Wojtala – Special to the News-Press

The George Mason High School girls varsity lacrosse Team notched their first win of the season Monday night by posting a 12-9 win over crosstown rivals Bishop O’Connell High School.

After finishing the preseason with one win and one loss, the Lady Mustangs were ready to begin their quest for a successful run to the post season. The game started on the cool damp March night against the Bishop O’Connell Knights with a slow rain drizzle falling on the field. Play started slow with the Mustangs maintaining a presence in the Knights’ end of the field.

Junior midfielder Sarah Lubnow began the scoring for the night and sophomore midfielder Amy Roche followed quickly after by putting the ball in the back of the net for a Mason 2-0 lead. The Knights countered with their possessions and Mason freshman attack Alex Biggs scored to make it a 3-2 game. Both Sarah and Amy scored again before Bishop O’Connell countered with two of their own goals to make it a 5-4 game at half time.

Both teams played outstanding defense in the first half with sophomore goaltender Annette Schlitt making outstanding save after save. The see-saw defensive battle continued in the second half with Coach Courtney Gibbon’s defensive squad limiting the Knights’ offense chances.

Lubnow continued her first half attack of the goal by netting her third of the game and Mason’s six the goal. But due to some Mason miscues and yellow card penalties, the Mustangs saw their lead deteriorate with the Knights scoring three unanswered goals to take the lead 7-6.

The loss of the lead seemed to inspire the Lady Mustangs and Sarah Lubnow scored her fourth goal of the night to knot up the score at seven.

The Knights continued to press the Mustang defense but with miscues and yellow card penalties this time by the Knights, the Mustangs began to find the back of the net, first by junior attack Maeve Donnelly then by Sarah Lubnow, followed by two from Roche. Lubnow completed the Mason scoring with her sixth goal of the game. The Mustangs were now holding a 12-7 lead with one minute left in the game. But the Knights did not lose their spirit and on the ensuing draws took the ball down the field to score two goals with twenty seconds left in the game.

O’Connell did maintain ball possession in their own end as the clock counted down, but the length of the field was too great to overcome in the remaining seconds and the horn sounded with Mason posting the 12-9 win.

The Lady Mustang varsity and junior varsity teams next travel to Tuscarora High School in Leesburg on Thursday to take on the Lady Huskies.