News

Bathroom Ceiling Fan Causes Fire at Budget Inn Motel

A bathroom ceiling fan in a room on the first floor of the two-story Budget Inn Motel at 7155 Lee Highway  in the Falls Church area of Fairfax County was the cause of a fire on Wednesday, Aug. 19, according to the Fairfax County Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to the scene Wednesday morning and encountered smoke coming from the room where the fire started. According to the fire department, firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and quickly extinguished the flames in the bathroom.

The fire department was alerted after the occupant of the room smelled the smoke coming from the bathroom and smoke detector activated moments later. The occupant, who suffered no injuries, was relocated to another room, according to the fire department.

Damage to the room is estimated at $2,000. Fire investigators determined that the fire was accidental, that a ceiling exhaust fan malfunction was the cause of the fire, according to the fire department.