Falls Church City Schools and government services are closes Tuesday as the biggest winter storm of the season dumped closed to six inches on the area late Monday and early Tuesday morning.
School day care services are also closed in addition to Mary Riley Styles Public Library. The Community Center is open normal hours, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m Tuesday but all recreation and parks morning classes are cancelled and a decision on afternoon classes will be made by noon.
Tuesday night’s City Council and Planning Commission meetings are on as scheduled.
The City of Falls Church has declared a snow emergency effective that started at 6 p.m. Monday and lasts until 6 p.m. Tuesday.
During the snow emergency, residents must remove their cars from designated snow emergency routes in the City. The no parking requirement will be enforced by the City of Falls Church Police Department on designated snow emergency routes. These routes are essential transportation corridors for the City and must remain clear in order to allow snow removal crews to clear the roads. Citizens are also encouraged wherever possible to not park cars on any streets so snow plows have unheeded passage. The fine for parking on an active snow emergency route is $50 and can result in the vehicle being towed.
Traffic signs identify which City streets are snow emergency routes. Vehicles abandoned or parked on snow emergency routes may be towed and fined. The traffic emergency routes are as follows, and available with a map on the City’s website at fallschurchva.gov/SnowRoutes:
• Annandale Road from Hillwood Avenue to Broad Street (both sides of street),
• Broad Street from Haycock Road to Seven Corners (both sides of street),
• Columbia Street from Maple Avenue to Tuckahoe Street (Maple Avenue to Washington St.: both sides of street; Washington Street to Tuckahoe: single side of street),
• Great Falls Street from West Street to Washington Street (both sides of street),
• Hillwood Avenue from Washington Street to Seven Corners (both sides of street),
• Lincoln Avenue from West Street to Yucatan Street (both sides of street),
• Little Falls Street from Broad Street to Great Falls Street (both sides of street),
• Maple Avenue from Washington Street to Columbia Street (single side of street),
• Park Avenue from West Street to Washington Street (both sides of street),
• Roosevelt Street from Hillwood Avenue to Roosevelt Boulevard (both sides of street),
• Washington Street from Graham Road to Westmoreland Street (both sides of street),
• West Street from Abbott Lane to Great Falls Street (Abbott Lane to Broad Street: single side of street; Broad Street to Lincoln Avenue: both sides of street; Lincoln Avenue to Great Falls Street: single side of street),
All Snow Emergency Routes are on both sides of the street, except for the following exceptions:
• South West Street (Abbott Lane to Broad Street; northwest side of street, affecting southbound traffic only),
• North West Street (Lincoln Avenue to Great Falls Street; northwest side of street, affecting southbound traffic only),
• East Columbia Street (Washington Street to Tuckahoe Street; north side of street, affecting westbound traffic only),
• South Maple Avenue (Washington Street to Annandale Road; west side of street, affecting southbound traffic only).