The City of Falls Church has released an advisory from Fairfax Water about potential scams in the area affecting residents and businesses in the City of F.C.
The release advises people to be on the lookout for individuals showing up at the doorstep or calling on the phone and claiming to be a Fairfax Water employee.
Tips on verifying Fairfax Water employee credentials are as follows:
• If you receive a call offering “discounts” or requesting account information or offering to pay your bill – this is a scam. Fairfax Water does not call asking for your account information nor does Fairfax Water offer discounts for service.
• Fairfax Water employees have photo identification with them at all times when they are on the job. Fairfax Water vehicles and field staff’s clothing bear the Fairfax Water logo. During the summer months there may be Fairfax Water summer interns in your neighborhood who do not wear uniforms, however each one will have a Fairfax Water photo identification displayed prominently.
• If someone comes to your door and identifies themselves as a Fairfax Water employee, please ask for their identification or call 703-698-5800 (TTY 711) to verify before letting them into your home.
• Fairfax Water employees do not receive or accept any form of payments during service calls and Fairfax Water does not collect water-service fees door-to-door.
• Most water meters are located outside of a customer’s home. Therefore Fairfax Water employees typically DO NOT require access to a customer’s home to read a meter.