Mason Ice Hockey Club Drubs Osbourn Eagles, 7-4

The Osbourn Eagles had no answer for George Mason High School’s relentless pressure and firepower last Friday night at Kettler Capitals Iceplex as the Mustangs dominated in a 7-4 win. After the teams battled without a score for most of the first period, Mason’s Hunter Olson found his stride and never let up. With 5:30 remaining, Olson ripped a shot over Eagle goalie Nick Levesque’s blocker on an unassisted play, then did it again 90 seconds later off of a pass from Mustang defenseman Adam Fendley.

The Eagles celebrated their first goal off of a shot by Nicholas Best with 1:19 left of the first period, cutting Mason’s lead to 2-1, but the Mustangs immediately went to work to get it back. After winning the face-off, the Mustangs kept the puck in the Eagles’ end most of the remainder of the period, with Olson, Fendley, Connor Rhodes, Marsden Davis and Jack Stricker firing repeat shots on goal. Finally, Olson scored his third goal of the period off of a pass from Stricker with :01 remaining in the period.

Osbourn came out strong in the second period with its own display of puck control, but the Mustang defense held strong and transitioned into a score at 11:29 in the period. Mason’s Andrew Williamson, taking a breakout pass from Fendley, advanced it to Rhodes, who split the Eagles’ defense and shot point blank on Levesque. The Eagle goalie stopped Rhodes’ shot but was unable to control the rebound, and Williamson, streaking in as the trailer, poked the rebound behind the goalie to make the score 4-1 Mason.

One minute later, Mason’s Sam Allan, forechecking hard in the Eagle’s end, stole the puck and blasted it on net, giving his West Potomac line mate Thomas Hanna an easy rebound and goal to make the score 5-1. And if there was any remaining doubt of how the contest would go, Olson removed it at 1:26 remaining of the second period with his fourth goal of the game off of a pass from Stricker to make it 6-1.

The Eagles’ Best gained a goal back with 20 seconds left in the second period off of a deflected shot that bounced over goalie Bryan Snigur’s glove, making the score 6-2.

At 6:31 remaining in the third, Mason’s Matt Lowrey forced a turnover in the Eagles’ end, allowing Olson to grab the puck and pass it to Williamson, positioned to the left of the goal. Williamson deked a defenseman and buried the puck for his second goal of the night to make it 7-2.

Osbourn’s Best completed his own hat trick off of a power play goal with 5:45 remaining, and his teammate Nathan Underwood added the Eagles’ fourth goal at 3:30 left. But the Mustangs responded with control and strong defense to wind down the clock and grab the win, making their record 4-2 overall and 3-1 in league play.

The Mustangs will take on Oakton High School Friday at Skatequest Reston.