The Northern Virginia Regional MATHCOUNTS Competition was held on Saturday, Feb. 2 at George Mason University. The regional competition combines the Fairfax, George Washington and Northern Va Chapters of the Virginia Society of Professional Engineers.
About 510 students in sixth through eighth grades at 57 elementary and middle schools competed at the event. They have been practicing since the fall and were selected to represent their schools at the competition. Students compete as school teams and as individuals.
The top teams, team members, and coaches from the Northern Va chapter (which encompasses Falls Church and McLean) are the following:
- BASIS Independent McLean — Students: Brian Lai, Samuel Wang, Max Yan and Ethan Zhou. Coached by Tyler Sullivan
- James Fennimore Cooper Middle School — Students: Bradley Cao, Danniel Cao, Michael Wang and Isabella Zhu. Coached by Lisa Walsh.
- Longfellow Middle School — Students: Ellie Chen, Michelle Kang, Alan Vladimiroff and David Wei. Coached by Patti Freeman. Ethan Zhou, BASIS Independent McLean
The top-scoring students in the Northern Va chapter are:
- Samuel Wang, BASIS Independent McLean
- Isabella Zhu, James Fennimore Cooper Middle School
- Alan Vladimiroff, Longfellow Middle School
- Michelle Kang, Longfellow Middle School