News

W. Broad Street Fire Causes $100,000 in Damages

A fire inside of Carpet Royale's storage facility caused $100,000 worth of damage this morning. (Photo: News-Press)
A fire inside of Carpet Royale’s storage facility caused $100,000 worth of damage this morning. (Photo: News-Press)

A fire at 929 W. Broad Street Monday morning caused $100,000 damage, according to a press release from the City of Falls Church. Firefighters from both Arlington, Fairfax County and the City of Falls Church extinguished the flames, the press release said. According to the City, there were no injuries.

Falls Church City spokesperson Susan Finarelli said that the fire was caused by a forklift that pierced a gas-fed ceiling heating unit in the rear of the building on the first floor. City of Falls Church Fire Marshall Captain Tom Polera ruled that the fire was accidental.

The fire began and was isolated to Carpet Royale’s storage and inventory in the storage building in the back, which is connected to the main building. Only rugs from Carpet Royale and the room that the rugs were stored in were damaged. Despite this morning’s blaze, all of the businesses in the building are open, according to the City.