News

3 Injured in Gas Explosion at Eden Center in Falls Church

An explosion at Eden Center left three people injured Wednesday. (Photo: News-Press)
An explosion at Eden Center left three people injured Wednesday. (Photo: News-Press)

Three people suffered non-life threatening injuries after a gas explosion and resulting fire at the Eden Center in Falls Church Wednesday afternoon.

Around 2:30 p.m. the News-Press received reports of a gas explosion and fire at the Princess Diamond jewelry store in the Saigon East section of the shopping center on Wilson Boulevard. Smoke was seen billowing from the front and rear entrances of the building and the glass has been blown out of the windows.

(Photo: News-Press)
(Photo: News-Press)

City of Falls Church Fire Marshal, Tom Polera, ruled the explosion to be accidental, caused by improper use of propane and oxygen. Damage is determined to be in excess of $1 million. Mindy Tran, owner of Eden Skin Care in the shopping center, told the News-Press the explosion was the result of a gas tank used to fuel a soldering tool exploding in the Princess Diamond store.

Three people, including the daughter of the jewelry store owner, have been transferred to area hospitals with non-life threatening injuries.

Stores in the area of the explosion are currently closed as firefighters and other officials inspect the buildings for damage.

An explosion at Eden Center left three people injured Wednesday. (Photo: Falls Church)
An explosion at Eden Center left three people injured Wednesday. (Photo: News-Press)